Fun Ways to Say MUITO in Brazilian Portuguese


I have recently returned from Brazil and while I was there I analyzed my mother-tongue the way a foreigner does because I was with my husband and my step-son who are Argentinians and are learning Portuguese. It was really fun to explain our slang expressions to them and it has inspired me to write this post.


So today I'm going to teach you other ways to say MUITO in Brazilian Portuguese.
I have already written a text about the word MUITO, its pronunciation and uses so if you want to learn more about it,  you can click here.


MUITO basically means very, very much, much, a lot, a lot of, but today I'm going to focus on only 3 of those meanings. , VERY, A LOT, VERY MUCH.


If you want to say that you work a lot (or very much) for example, you can say "eu trabalho muito". That is correct and you'll hear Brazilians saying it. Now, let's talk about fun ways of saying the same thing.


Eu trabalho pra caramba!
Eu trabalho pacas!
Eu trabalho pra chuchu!


The expressions pra caramba, pacas and pra chuchu are usually used at the end of the sentences and they mean MUITO. Rita Lee, a famous Brazilian singer, and songwriter loves using the expression "pra chuchu" in her songs. Check out the video below and listen to hear using this expression. It's at minute 1:03.

Now, if you want to say that something is very big, you can say "isso é muito grande". But if you want to sound more Brazilian you should say "isso é bem grande". "Bem" in this case means "very" and we love using it like that. The other meaning of "bem" is "well" and you might know it because of our famous greeting "oi, tudo bem?" which means "hi, how are you?" Let's see some other examples.


Eu cheguei bem tarde ontem
bem frio no sul do Brasil.

I hope you have enjoyed this pra caramba and that it's been bem fácil! :-)




Teacher Luisa Costa

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas